- The Information We Collect
- How We Use Your Information
- Legal Bases for Use of Your Information
- Online Analytics and Advertising
- How We Share and Disclose Your Information
- Retention of Your Information
- Data Subject Rights and Your Choices
- Third Party Links and Features
- Children’s Privacy
- How We Protect Your Information
- EMCT Contact Information
Information We Collect
We obtain information about you through the means discussed below when we provide the Services. Please note that we need certain types of information so that we can provide the Services to you. If you do not provide us with such information, or ask us to delete it, you may no longer be able to access or use our Services.
- Information You Provide to Us
We collect a variety of information that you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information from you through:
- The Services you use in processing your orders
- Requests or questions you submit to us via online forms, email, or otherwise
- Your progress of modules, assessment scores, surveys completed, and CME hours granted
- Any reviews that you submit about the Services
- Account registration and administration of your account
- Requests for customer support and technical assistance
Information about you. We require that you give your true identity as we have to assure CME (continuing Medical Education) credit is given to the proper provider
- • Your name
- • Email address
- • Log-in credentials
- • Billing information, such as shipping address. (Stripe is a third-party vendor that runs credit or debit card purchases and they collect your credit card number, verification number, and expiration date. EMCT/JTACS does not have your credit/debit card information).
- • Information about purchases or other transactions with us
- • Information about your customer service interactions with us
- • Demographic information such as your gender or other information you choose to provide as part of your EMCT profile
- • User-generated content you post in public forums such as when you comment on or review a class (Survey responses are confidential and not personally identifiable)
- • Any other information you choose to directly provide to us in connection with your use of the Services
Information about others. If you request that your purchase be provided to someone other than yourself (such as a gift recipient), we use the information you provide about the other person to fulfill the shipment.
When you use our Services, we collect certain information as described in this Section. As discussed further below, we and our service providers (which are third party companies that work on our behalf) may use a variety of technologies, including cookies and similar tools, to assist in collecting this information.
Websites. When you use our website, we collect and analyze information such as your IP address, browser types, browser language, operating system, software and hardware attributes (including device IDs) referring and exit pages and URLs, the number of clicks, pages viewed and the order of those pages, the date and time you used the Services, error logs, and other similar information. We use this information to identify problems that users may have on the site and to optimize the user experience.
Mobile Applications and Software. When you use a EMCT mobile application or software, we automatically receive certain information about the mobile phone, tablet, or computer used to access the application or software, including device identifiers, IP address, operating system, version, Internet service provider, browser type, domain name and other similar information, whether and when you update the app, date and time of use, and how you use the app.
Location Information. When you use the Services, we and our service providers may automatically collect general location information (e.g., IP address, city/state and or postal code associated with an IP address) from your computer or mobile device.
We may receive additional information such as demographic and statistical information from third parties, such as business partners, marketers, researchers, analysts, and other parties that we may attribute to you based on your assignment to certain statistical groups. We use this information to supplement the information that we collect directly from you in order to derive your possible interests and to provide more relevant experiences for you and improve our products, analytics, and advertising
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We, or our service providers, use your information for various purposes depending on the types of information we have collected from and about you, in order to:
- Complete a purchase or provide the Services you have requested, including invoicing and accounting
- Respond to your request for information and provide you with more effective and efficient customer service
- Provide you with updates and information about in which you have enrolled
- Contact you by email, postal mail, or phone regarding EMCT products and special events that we think may be of interest to you
- Help us better understand your interests and needs, and improve the Services, including through research and reports, and test and create new products, features, and services
- Secure our websites and applications, and resolve app crashes and other issues being reported
- Comply with any procedures, laws, and regulations which apply to us where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others
- Establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others
LEGAL BASES FOR USE OF YOUR INFORMATION
- Where use of your information is necessary to perform our obligations under a contract with you (for example, to comply with: the terms of service of our websites which you accept by browsing the websites/registering; and/or our contract to provide our Services to you and provide your CME);
- Where use of your information is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others (for example, to provide security for our website and applications; operate our business and our Services; make and receive payments; comply with legal requirements and defend our legal rights; prevent fraud and to know the customer to whom we are providing Services);
- Where we are required to process information in accordance with an EU Member State legal obligation; or
- Where we have your consent, in accordance with applicable law.
ONLINE ANALYTICS AND ADVERTISING
- Online Advertising
We may use third-party web analytics services (such as those of Google Analytics) on our Services to collect and analyze usage information through cookies and similar tools; engage in auditing, research, or reporting; assist with fraud prevention; and provide certain features to you.
We do not engage in advertising or promotion of any particular brand name product. We state the latest evidence based practices and use generic names out of routine to prevent bias.
HOW WE SHARE AND DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION
EMCT will share your information in the following ways:
When you register for an EMCT membership you will be added to a list of members. “Group Leads” can review this list and request to add you to their group (this is by design so your supervisor can monitor your progress, but only with your permission). As a subscribing member, you can also see all EMCT members and “Group Leads.” You too can request to be part of a group, but that group lead has to approve for you to be part of that group. Only your name and city/state will be given. Other personal information such as street address, e-mail, phone number, and user names will remain confidential. All credit/debit card information is handled by Stripe and the credit card companies and they have their own privacy policies (EMCT/JTACS does not have access to your personal credit/debit card information).
RETENTION OF YOUR INFORMATION
We keep your information for no longer than necessary for the purposes for which it is processed. The length of time for which we retain information depends on the purposes for which we collected and use it and/or as required to comply with applicable laws.
DATA SUBJECT RIGHTS AND YOUR CHOICES
You have certain rights with respect to your information as further described in this section.
- Your Legal Rights
If you would like further information in relation to your legal rights under applicable law or would like to exercise any of them, please contact us using the “Contact Us” tab at the bottom of the home page. Your local laws (e.g., in the EU) may permit you to request that we:
- – provide access to and/or a copy of certain information we hold about you
- – prevent the processing of your information for direct-marketing purposes (including any direct marketing processing based on profiling)
- – update information which is out of date or incorrect
- – delete certain information which we are holding about you
- – restrict the way that we process and disclose certain of your information
- – transfer your information to a third party provider of services
- – revoke your consent for the processing of your information
We will consider all requests and provide our response within the time period stated by applicable law. Please note, however, that certain information may be exempt from such requests in some circumstances, which may include if we need to keep processing your information for our legitimate interests or to comply with a legal obligation. We may request you provide us with information necessary to confirm your identity before responding to your request.
THIRD PARTY LINKS AND FEATURES
EMCT may provide links to websites/web pages where additional relevant information can be found regarding particular subjects. If you choose to go to these sites, that website’s privacy policies will apply.
EMCT modules are intended for medical providers not for children under the age of 16. Some of the images in the modules and their videos are deemed inappropriate for minors. If we become aware that we have inadvertently collected “personal information” (as defined by the United States Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act) from children under the age of 16 without valid parental consent, we will take reasonable steps to delete it as soon as possible. We do not knowingly process data of EU residents under the age of 16 without parental consent. If we become aware that we have collected data from an EU resident under the age of 16 without parental consent, we will take reasonable steps to delete it as soon as possible. We also comply with other age restrictions and requirements in accordance with applicable local laws.
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
Emergency Medicine Core Training (EMCT) takes technical and organizational security measures to protect the information provided via the Services from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, no Internet, server, or email transmission is ever fully secure or error free. Please keep this in mind when disclosing any information to EMCT via the Internet.